Publication and Critical DocumentationPublication et documentation critique
Type of Aid
100%, up to $2,000
COVID specifications: Please refer to this document.
By supporting the production and critical documentation, the program seeks to promote the advancement of knowledge in different artistic practices and to contribute to the development of disciplines. It also seeks to make the public aware of the work of Québec artists and curators and to promote their visibility.
- Individual Artists
Only individuals who carry out on their own an activity covered are eligible for financial aid.
Previous applicants to CALQ programs are automatically eligible for this program.
First time applicants must have participated in at least one production independent of or subsequent to education, have produced and disseminated at least one work of art publicly, or have published, at least one book or three texts in a literary genre eligible for the CALQ in a context recognized by peers.
Applicants cannot have more than five separate applications and receive a maximum of five grants per CALQ fiscal year, from April 1st to March 31st
Applicants cannot have more than three projects being considered, supported or under way at the same time.
- Eligible projects:
Production of works to document and present the work of an artist or artist collective: monograph, electronic publication or other critical documentation of the work of the artist or their artistic development.
Production of exhibition catalogues or other activities of the sort.
- Ineligible projects:
Project produced by or with a corporation or a partnership of which the applying artist is a shareholder or partner; project produced by or with a non-profit organization of which the applying artist is an employee.
Creating and updating a website.
Producing a portfolio.
Project solely for self-publication of the author’s writing.
Projects not primarily about living Québec artists.
Projects in connection with national or international events.
Essays on arts and literature, comics and graphic novels. These are eligible for the Creation component.
- Production of works to document and present the work of an artist or artist collective: monograph, electronic publication or other critical documentation of the work of the artist or their artistic development.
- Production of exhibition catalogues or other activities of the sort.
- Candidate’s remuneration.
- Fees for participating artists and collaborators, excluding the applicant.
- Research expenses.
- Payment of copyright and resale rights.
- Graphic design expenses for print or electronic publications.
- Promotional materials, advertising and distribution expenses.
- Certain professional or contractual fees, such as for consultants or any other specialist contributing expertise to the project.
- Translation, editing and proofreading expenses.
- Completed and signed application form with description of the project
- Complete and signed personal information form
- Curriculum vitae of the applicant (maximum of 3 pages)
- List of participant artists and collaborators and their CV
- Contract, confirmation or letter of intent of partners (document provided by the specialist, independent curator or partner organization confirming their contribution to the project)
- Copy of bids (programmer, printer, graphic artist or translator)
- Two examples of the authors’ texts (maximum of 4 pages per text)
- Press file